Benefits of Hypnobirthing
Why is Hypnobirthing so good?
Here are some of the things you’ll learn that are not covered in most antenatal classes.
- Breathing techniques that actually help the birth (and it’s not the panting that most people think they have to do. Think about it – why would anyone want to hyperventilate during labour?)
- How to massively reduce the need for any medication at all
- How to reduce your risk of needing an episiotomy during birth with a stunningly simple massage technique
- How to be confident and informed when dealing with the medical staff – when to question, what to ask…and when it’s time to let them take charge
- How to release any fears you might have about childbirth…regardless of where they come from
- How to bring about your own easy start of labour with these simple, natural techniques, if you go beyond your “estimated due date”
- Most importantly, you’ll know how to relax and stay calm and in control – regardless of what’s happening around you
Hypnobirthing is designed as a structured but informal class format that teaches about the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of birth. You’ll learn why your body does what it does, as well as how.
Additional benefits that have been reported by mums include:
- Considerably shorter labour and birthing
- Signficantly fewer surgical births
- High number of comfortable, natural births with no technological assistance
- A high rate of success in assisting breech-presented babies to turn into appropriate birthing position with the use of posture and hypnosis (in a study done at the University of Vermont of 100 women at 37 to 40 weeks, there was a 81% success rate with hypnosis)
- Highly energized mums in good spirits following births that are calm and gentle
- You’ll learn the techniques once for this birth, but then you can then use them again and again, no matter how many children you have
- Hypnobirthing techniques work very effectively with home births, water births, hospital births, birthing centres…whatever. It’s your choice what kind of birth to have – Hypnobirthing helps them all.
- You can use the techniques to help calm and relax yourself any time you feel stressed out…(we’ve had many couples tell us this alone has been invaluable!)
What you’ll learn through Hypnobirthing is how you can confidently approach a safe, easier and more comfortable natural birth.
We can’t promise you a ‘perfect’ birth – no one can – but we can promise you a much, much more comfortable and relaxed birth than you would have had otherwise.
Does it help the baby too?
Yes. We find that babies born using Hypnobirthing tend to be calmer, feed better, sleep better and experience less trauma, because they are gently and calmly breathed into the world at their own pace.
Scientific research has also shown that the babies usually have higher Agpar scores as well (a measure of how well your baby is doing immediately after the birth, and then five minutes later).
Finally – something useful for the dad to do!
Instead of your husband or partner being a helpless onlooker, they become a central part of the birthing process, helping you to stay calm and focussed on the techniques you’ve been taught.
As a result, the fathers feel proud to have been able to help, and to be an active part of the birth.
Imagine how close that makes them feel to you and the baby!
Read on, and hear what other mums and dads have to say about Hypnobirthing, or just find your nearest Hypnobirthing classes.
For more information on what you’ll be doing in each class, look at the Hypnobirthing class outline.